4oz (110g) caster sugar
4oz (110g) margarine
2 eggs at room temperature
4oz (110g) self raising flour
150g icing sugar
Juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons (2 if small lemons)
100g icing sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon (1 if small lemon)
Lemon zest for decoration
NB: Some of you may have noticed that the cake is listed in imperial measurements and the toppings are metric.
This is because I am using my mum's cake recipe which is the best in the world (not that I'm biased!). I have tried using the metric measurements and it just never comes out as well, so if you have scales that have ounces use them for best results.
1. Heat oven to 180 degreesC. Grease and flour a ring cake tin.
2. Cream margarine and sugar together until well mixed. You can use a mixer but I prefer to do this by hand as I think it gives a better result.
3. Break in the eggs and stir in until just combined. Use a mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
4. Sift in flour and gently stir through. Use the mixer and beat for a couple of minutes until it leaves trails in the mixture.
5. Put mixture in cake tin and place in oven to bake for 30 minutes.
6. While cake is baking prepare the lemons and toppings. Using a grater remove some zest from the lemons and put aside for the decoration. Warm each lemon in the microwave for 15 seconds and then juice. (Warming helps to release more juice).
7. To make icing - combine 100g icing sugar with juice of half a lemon. Add the lemon juice spoonful by spoonful until you get an icing that is fairly stiff. If it is too runny it will all run off the cake.
8. To make syrup - place remaining lemon juice in saucepan. Add 150g icing sugar and heat gently until combined. Taste the syrup and add more icing sugar to taste. It should be tangy but not too sour.
9. When cake has finished baking remove from tin while still hot. Using a fork or thick needle, prick all over the top of the cake. Spoon the hot syrup over the cake so it soaks in - you may not need to use all the syrup but you do need quite a lot.
10. Allow the cake to cool. Once cooled spoon over the icing and then sprinkle over the lemon zest.
See you tomorrow.