|Recipe and Image from http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/691/sausage+and+beans|
Original photography by John Paul Urizer
Ingredients (serves 4)
olive oil cooking spray
800g lean beef sausages
2 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
2 x 400g cans white beans, drained, rinsed
2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
buttered wholegrain toast, to serve
* I have also made this with tins of four bean mix instead of just white beans as my family prefer the mix.
* You could also add some bacon to the mixture - I have not done this as my husband is allergic to pork products but I think it would add a nice flavour.
- Lightly spray a non-stick frying pan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Cook sausages for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a board. Roughly chop.
- Spray frying pan with oil. Add onions, garlic and chilli, if using. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until onion is soft. Add beans and tomatoes. Bring to the boil.
- Return sausages to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until sausages cooked through and sauce thick. Spoon into bowls. Serve with toast.
Recipe can be found at: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/691/sausage+and+beans
Recipe originally published in Super Food Ideas magazine - July 2006
Recipe by Kirrily Smith