Every three months my husband has to have an MRI to check the size of his malignant brain tumour to see whether it has grown. Last time it had stayed the same size so as it was stable he got three months off chemotherapy.We are hoping for the same again this time and will find out the results next Tuesday.
The only thing worse than MRI day is results day.
I hate sitting in the waiting room with a large knot of tension in my stomach as we wait for the doctor to call us in. I sit there every time hoping that everything will be stable but knowing that sooner or later it won't be and that the tumour will have grown again.
|Photo from Microsoft Images|
Below is the usual ways we all think of to waste time and also some other things that you may not have thought of:
- Catch up on your reading - you usually have at least a 20 minute wait for an appointment so have a book or if you work maybe an industry magazine and enjoy the chance to catch up on the latest blockbuster or important developments.
- Listen to music - download a different type of music to your usual type and use the time to stretch your tastes.
- Download a podcast and use the time to learn something new or listen to your favourite comedian.
- If there is a TV in your waiting area use the time to catch up on the daytime soaps. The storyline moves so slowly in most of them that you should easily be able to catch up from the last time you saw them.
- Have a nail file with you and give yourself a mini manicure. If you also add a mini tube of hand cream to your bag you will come out with nicer hands than when you went in.
- Use the time to complete forms. If you have kids and even if you don't there always seems to be forms that need filling in. Take them with you to your appointment and complete them while waiting.
- People watch - I love to check people out and try and work out what they do for a living, whether they are single, what sort of pet they would have etc.
- Do your shopping list - save yourself time later and work out what you are going to have for dinner next week and what ingredients you will need to buy.
- Use your phone and send an email to someone you haven't communicated with for a while.
- Write - take a notebook and start your first novel!
- Catch up on 'Slummy not Yummy' blog posts you may not have read yet!
My husband's favourite:
- Talk to the person next to you - you may end up making a new friend!
What do you do to past time while waiting for an appointment?